Saturday, May 03, 2008

Baltimore Oriole on the Suet

This rainy, dreary Saturday became much brighter when a Baltimore Oriole came to the suet feeder, the first time this has happened in my yard. I have orange halves out, but he showed no interest - just the suet. Then a second one arrived. The feeders were trashed by a bear a few nights ago, so I bring them in at night; it's a pain putting them out in the morning when all I really want is my first cup of coffee, but when the oriole started coming throughout the day, I forgot the inconvenience. What a show! Then a second male showed up. I suppose in a few days when they start establishing territory they will not be quite as friendly toward each other, but today they shared the suet with one another, as well as with a Blue Jay, Downy Woodpecker, and White-breasted Nuthatch. Evening Grosbeaks are also regulars at the feeders and brought more brilliant color with the fresh plumage, so I had to include a photo of one. They breed in the neighborhood and last year brought their young around in the late summer. Maybe the orioles will do the same this year.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails