Monday, September 06, 2010

Waterton Lakes

Waterton Lakes National Park in southwestern Alberta, Canada, is know as the park where the prairie meets the mountains.

Lake Waterton

On our last afternoon at the park, we focused on the prairie. We spotted a coyote which appeared to be feeding on prey, or carrion. As soon as it became aware of our presence, it disappeared into the tall grasses. I moved slowly into the grasses, hoping for a better photo shot. I never saw the coyote again. From the direction the coyote had gone, this young buck Mule Deer came running. He paused briefly to look us over, then disappeared over the side of a bluff.

Mule Deer (Black-tailed Deer)
Mule Deer (Black-tailed Deer)

I would love to leave you in awe of our encounter with this large wild animal, but full disclosure requires that I tell you about the large bucks with the huge racks which we saw early in that morning in Waterton Village. They were resting peacefully in someone's front yard. There were also a couple of does and their fawns grazing about the village. These habituated, semi-tame deer amuse the tourists. Occasionally, the deer also attract a hungry cougar (or mountain lion) looking for easy prey.

Mule Deer (Black-tailed Deer) - in Waterton Village

We stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel, one of those old park hotels built by the railroads. It is picturesque in its own right, perched atop a glacial bluff and overlooking the lake and mountains.

Prince of Wales Hotel
Hotel Lobby

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazingly beautiful shots, as always!

Kelly said...

...wow! Looks like a wonderful place to visit. I guess I have to add it to my wish list. I have a lot of catching up to do. This summer was fun, but busy, and I've fallen way behind!

troutbirder said...

Interesting post. I remember visiting Waterton Lakes many years ago on our honeymoon. We camped and their were semi tame mule deer, even then, in the campground. Also loved your Lewis and Clark bird story. I did a similar post a year ago having seen both birds in the Black Hills of South Dakota (far easter edge of their range). Your post had a lot more historical background which I really enjoyed. Thanks.

Jen Sanford said...

Oh wow what a beautiful place! If I only had a passport I would've been able to visit up there earlier this summer when I explored Glacier NP.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails