Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Anhinga - a Weird Bird

I do hope I don't offend Anhinga lovers, but I find this bird of southern swamps to be one weird bird. It is sometimes called the darter, or snake bird. When fishing, only its head is seen wiggling about like a snake.

Anhinga - male


In Florida last month, I watched as it swam, rather slowly, under water looking for fish.


Like cormorants, it has to dry its wings after being in the water.

Anhinga - male
Sexes are easily distinguished. The female in the following photo appears to be near the nest which appears to be occupied by the male.

Anhinga - female
But ... come back in a couple of days for what I find is the definition of weirdness in this bird.

3 comments:

Debbie Miller @HooootOwl said...

I had never heard of the Anhinga before reading your post. Fantastic photos of this unique couple.

elvira pajarola said...

He is sooo beautiful, soo special and funny and really exceptional!!!!

You took him gorgeously....!!
Drying off his magnificient feathers on the tree; too funny and very cute too!!

...and what a "superswimmer" he is! The first photography is SUBLIME:

I do love the leaves on the water...they frame this elegant head so beautiful!!

Have a sunny and happy start in the spring, Chris!

ciao ciao elvira

FAB said...

I remember my first views of this species in Florida many years ago ... snake bird would have been a better name.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails