Monday, September 03, 2012

Cape May - Terns, Butterflies, and Dragonflies

While visiting family in Philadelphia, I managed a day trip to Cape May. I was about a week early for warbler, song bird, and hawk migration. But in places I felt like I was in the middle of a butterfly garden. And ... in a continuing expansion of subject and interest, dragonflies captured my focus. Here is a sampling of images from the day ...

Terns, oystercatchers, and skimmers were gathered along the beaches near the conservancy. A particular delight were the Royal Terns ...

Royal Tern
American Oystercatcher
A dozen species of butterflies were tallied. The most stunning was this Red-spotted Purple ...

Red-spotted Purple
I am a novice with dragonflies, so please let me know if you disagree with the IDs on the following ...

Common Whitetail
Twelve-Spotted Skimmer
Swamp Darner
Swamp Darner
Good everything!!


Laurence Butler said...

Great shots Chris! Really love the Oystercatcher

OpposableChums said...

Excellent pix. Thanks.

vinecon said...

as an even more novice butterflyer, I still know the difference between a butterfly and a dragonfly.
Excellent photos.


Related Posts with Thumbnails