Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Urban Exotics

While wandering the concrete streets of Center City Philadelphia, I encountered the three most common Northern American exotic birds:
Rock Pigeon
European Starling
House Sparrow



I do not understate when I say that most birders in North America regard these birds with disdain, at best.

But ... they are remarkable survivors. These birds make their living where almost no other creatures can (other than the invasive, environmentally destructive, biped).

They make their living, in part, by cleaning up the garbage of that wasteful biped. I'm not too happy when these birds raid my feeders in Vermont (though for voraciousness they pale before the Evening Grosbeaks). In the urban environment, these birds are a welcome sign of resilience.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails