Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Birds for the Year List

One of the great things about January 1 is that all the birds you see on this day are new birds for the Year List! I think I will venture into the cold and see how many I can come up with.

I'm still waiting this morning for my tailless Song Sparrow to drop by - he/she has been a daily regular. I wonder if this is a late molt, or the result of a "close encounter."

Purple Finches are not expected in my neighborhood in mid-winter, but occasionally come by. They are often missed on the CBC; I presume they normally winter further south. Since I have seen 3 males and 3 females at different times, I presume there are at least 6 around.

White-throated Sparrow is also a winter rarity in my yard, but tan-striped morph has been a regular.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year from Australia! Found this site by accident a few months ago. Really impressed with your photos, and I enjoy your commentary - still catching up with the blogs from previous years. Hope you have a great birding year.

Chris Petrak said...

Thanks so much - good to hear from the cousins down under.Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Adams Hill, here on the other side of Oregon Mt. We were very surprised to make a new sighting a few days ago. We are used to varied woodpeckers but this one had a very bright red head with some features of a Northern Flicker. Have identified it as a first for us, a red bellied woodpecker. It seems they may be working their way north. Hope so. Have you seen one? Wishing you good birding.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails