Sunday, August 30, 2009

Buzz-Cut Jays & More Families

As handsome as Blue Jays are, when they are molting in late summer, they are pathetic looking. This particular jay has been around for about a week, and he is beginning to get his crest back ...

But his "do" is still nothing to brag about, although I probably should not anthropomorphize, because yesterday I caught a flash of a Sharp-shinned going low through the back yard. So it is probably more appropriate to say that he is being on the look out.

But this poor gentleman (or gentlelady) looks like it had a run in with a boot camp barber who only knows how to give a short buzz cut ...

No other way to put it but ugly. However, this does show the relationship, physically, to the dinosaurs ...

More families have been coming by. Mother Rose-breasted Grosbeak (left) was feeding the youngster all afternoon from the bounty and generosity of my feeders.

Sitting on the back porch, I heard Cedar Waxwings in the trees overhead. Then one flew into a nearby maple, showing the red tip of its tail. But not an adult - note the brown streaking. And of course, that open beak and begging posture! Tough being a parent.

And finally, a Black-capped Chickadee ... just because I love these little guys, and they stay around all winter ...

In the evening we kayaked Sunset Lake and I have more pictures of the loon. I am still going through them, but you'll want to come back tomorrow for the loon pics (or at least, I hope you'll want to come back).

Good birding!

5 comments:

Wilma said...

I am quite fond of the chickadees too. They are even here in southern MN year round. Now that is a tough little bird! Great photos. Looking forward to more of the loons.

Hilke Breder said...

I am having several of these pathetic looking blue jays around too. I had never noticed the molting before until I started taking pictures.

Kelly said...

You crack me up! He's not ugly...he's interesting! Chickadees are my favorite bird. They sing their happy tune all winter...and keep me happy too!

Anonymous said...

This is a time of year when the protien has to be good. There is a lot of energy that is expended in a molt.

Tucker L said...

My aunt from Arkansas sent me a photo of a bald Northern Cardinal that her friend had in her backyard just a couple days ago.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails