Monday, January 04, 2010

Snow Birds

Dark-eyed Junco bears the appropriate folk name, "Snow Bird." A flock of 60+ juncos have been feeding at my feeders throughout the winter. They were constant over the weekend as the Nor'easter brought snow off and on. When they rested, they were never far away, as though they knew they could hurry to the pantry whenever they needed an energy fix against the elements. Here are just a few images taken through the kitchen winter as I did my limited birding from a warm interior space protected from the elements:




A few other neighbors came to the bird feeders as well, including the pair of resident White-breasted Nutchatches ...

... and the three pair of Tufted Titmice ...

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Chris,
Your snow birds are beautiful and you got nice shots! We have none of them over here and I would like to see them one day meaning I've to travel a bit ;-) Here also, the snow has come the 24th of December and since then nothing! We still have snow on the ground because temps are between -6 and -15°c but it is not snowing at all... Very strange winter indeed

Bill S. said...

Beautiful pictures of the birds trying to stay warm. It is amazing to me how the same species act differently in different areas

Erica Houskeeper said...

These are lovely shots Chris. I'm glad the birds decided to rest near your home during the storm so they could recharge and you could get some nice photos. Your feeders look like a popular place!.

Deejbrown said...

I touched the feathers in your photo. They are real.

Susan Ellis said...

I love Junco's -they're such busy, sociable little things! Had dozens in November, but I think they've landed in your yard now..

Kelly said...

I love your beautiful winter birds! ....and a flock of 60+ juncos! I can only dream of that. We're lucky if we get 10-15 in our yard. I'm happy with that!

Carlib said...

Great shots, here, Chris!
How strange... On the first one the bird framed himself!!
He must think highly of himself!!LOL!!
Cheers!

Wilma said...

Terrific detail in your photos. They are all beautiful.

Larry said...

Excellent photos!I especially like 2 and 4.I find it difficult to get a photo of a junco with the eye showing so well like the one in your photo. Maybe the juncos in Vermont have brighter eyes than the ones in Connecticut. I like seeing the textured detail of the feathers too.

elvira pajarola said...

oh....one shot more beautiful then the other....all magnificient!!!!
...there is a little cute one which got a little cold...?
FANTASTIC Impressions!
ciao elvira

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails