Monday, January 09, 2012

Winter Coastal Birding

The winter coastal birding this past weekend produced a total of 54 species over three days, with a number of quite rare and sought after birds.

Sunday in Newburyport, I added a life bird with the way-out-of-range Cassin's Kingbird which has been present for several weeks. Good looks, but the photos, while recognizable, are not any which I care to post.

Other highlights included King Eider, Common Murre, Razorbill, Snowy Owl, and Rough-legged Hawk, all distant birds with no photo opportunities.

Saturday I guided a group from Southeastern Audubon, so did no photography. Friday and Sunday were unusual for the coast in winter - sunny, mild, great light (I love the rich, low light during the winter, but it is not a common commodity).

Here are a few photo samples ...

Common Eider

Red-breasted Merganser

Dunlin among Sanderlings (roosting at Halibut Point)

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

Cooper's Hawk
Surf Scoter - female (c), 3 males, 2 1st year males (top r)
Good Birding!

5 comments:

Laurence Butler said...

Great photos! Look like it was a great trip with some excellent diversity in the sightings.
I like the low winter light too, though it does seem to disappear so quickly.

Dawn Fine said...

Great photos Chris! Happy Winter birding! I really want to see a Snowy Owl.

Dan Huber said...

Wonderful photos Chris, I love the shot of the Merganser, he has a mischievous grin.

eileeninmd said...

Great shots of these coastal birds. I love the Scoters and the Merganser. Happy Birding!

Jen Sanford said...

Sounds like a really nice variety! I have missed Purple Sandpipers on my east coast trips and I am definitely missing out- very cool-looking birds.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails