Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Delta-spotted Spiketail

I grew up in Detroit and now live part-time in Philadelphia. In a big city, you may have lots of people around you, but know no one. Not so in tiny Vermont. In my last post, I mentioned meeting fellow birders from a neighboring town. (In Vermont, the "neighborhood" is geographically large.)

When I returned home, I worked on identifying several butterflies and dragonflies which I saw in Victory Bog, Essex County. I identified the Delta-spotted Spiketail with the help of "Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East" (Paulson).

Then I noticed that the photograph in this guide was taken in Essex Co., VT, June 2007, by Bryan Pfeiffer, in Vermont a well-known naturalist, author, photographer, and birding leader. I had followed directions to Victory Bog provided by "Birding Watching in Vermont" co-authored by Bryan. I have crossed paths with Bryan on many occasions as I have birded in the Northeast, passing along, and receiving, sightings.

So thanks to Bryan for his assistance in IDing this brightly patterned dragonfly ...

Delta-spotted Spiketail
Both Bryan and I photographed this dragonfly in the same county, and I would not be surprised to learn that we were both in, or near, Victory Bog.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails