Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Western Birds, I

For the past three weeks I have been traveling in the West - western Nebraska, southwestern South Dakato, and Wyoming. My mid-week posts during this time were prepared in advance and were "fillers." I am home now and can share some of the travels.

The trip was not a birding trip, but when the opportunity presented itself, I naturally photographed birds.

Audubon's Warbler tops the "drop-dead gorgeous" category among the birds I photographed in the West. This male cooperated while we wandered the Norris Geyser Basin in Yellowstone NP ...

Audubon's Warbler (officially still Yellow-rumped Warbler)

If the Lark Sparrow were as common in my neighborhood as it is in the grasslands of the West, it could make my top three list of favorite sparrows, coming just behind the White-throated and Fox Sparrows - beautiful head pattern and lively song ...

Lark Sparrow

In the woodlands around Devil's Tower NM, I added to my life list with the Plumbeous Vireo ...

Plumbeous Warbler
For indefatigable and spirit-lifting song, the Western Meadowlark is without peer ...

Western Meadowlark
Good birding!

5 comments:

Carla @ KAYTEE said...

Wow these pictures are awesome! You are very lucky to be able to some of these amazing birds!

Jen Sanford said...

Ooh, I am loving these photos! I just saw my first Lark Sparrow a few days ago, though much more worn than the one you shared. So pretty! Great shot of the Audubon's Warbler too, the background is perfect!

Hilke Breder said...

Great shots, Chris. I am quite envious.

eileeninmd said...

Great series of western Birds, Chris!

Dan Huber said...

Wonderful captures Chris. Love the Audobon's particularly.

dan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails